Oct 14, 2008

The Perfect Encryption

A bit of metacognitive thinking if you will...

Lyrics, songs, words. I've said before that they hold a different meaning to each. However, just because one person has put a phrase together doesn't mean that's how it should be interpreted. Some lyrics flow effortlessly into something else. Others take root and mature with age. Some...need more work than others...

Sometimes I hear a song or read a verse that jumps at me like a lion. It rips and tears at me until I turn it over and over trying desperately to decipher its significance in my mind. A struggle ensues that always ends in a lacerated mess--of both myself and the lyrics. Everything shredded to pieces, I work with fragile bits of consciousness laying them together with stinging hands. Must find a pattern; must heal broken thoughts. What does it mean?

Only after everything is reduced to a red haze do I realize I have to let it heal on its own. Time...and patience...

Now only visceral stains on my thoughts, the phrase no longer resembles its whole in the slightest, yet it yearns to hold meaning. Pieces of it pulse with new life, germinating steadily. Like an itching scar I'm reminded of the wound constantly, but I cannot disturb it and taint the process. I finally realize that it's grown to be a part of me, patched and mottled. It finally has a meaning. Only I can interpret it now.

No comments: