Jan 26, 2009

Nostalgia or Preparation?

I feel as if I'll drop a thought if I don't write something this morning. I feel antsy, just like most mornings.

I've been thinking about the past (when am I not?). Today specifically I've been listening to some old, nostalgic music. Thinking about what it meant to me years ago; comparing it to what it means to me now. Memories flow through more current thoughts, relating values and lost feelings.

So many songs:
The first cd I bought of my own volition, even though others I valued didn't care for it. The songs that make me think of old friends now lost or gone away. Ex-lovers. The voices I swooned over and cried for. The words I still remember--repeating them now reminds me not only of my own growth and change, but of the world's changing landscape. I'm not one of the kids anymore.

More often now I realize that I'm not as overly-nostalgic as I thought I was. I don't run around in reverse, I have blinders on. I see little but that which lies ahead of me. Reflection is necessary to understand what will come. The future is endless and finite. While I do dwell on events from the past, it's from a desire to understand what must happen. How does it fit together?

No comments: